Sunday, June 3, 2012

Workshop Fitout

On top of the lessons learnt, I thought I would share the additional tools I have used or added to the workshop during the build. This will give new builders an idea of what is needed beyond spanners.

  • Engine crane - rated to 750kg with adjustable boom and castors. I used this to lift the car a lot as well when fitting the engine
  • Engine stand - for dressing the engine before it goes in the car
  • Trolley jack - spend as much as you can and get one with as much lift as possible
  • Chassis stands - height adjustable with fine screw adjustment.
  • Digital vernier calipers
  • Hex head sockets - better than Allen keys!
  • Torque wrenches - I have two, one with a smaller range and one with a much larger range for big jobs like flywheel bolts
  • Sharp set of side cutters
  • T-bar - with connectors for sockets or hex bits
  • Stepper drill bits - for carefully enlarging holes out to as big as 22mm
  • Quality soldering iron
  • Electrical wiring crimper (good quality)
  • Auto electrical specific multi-meter
  • 1mm metal cutting wheel for the grinder
  • Fine tip paint pen in a bright colour - for marking position or marking torqued nuts/bolts
  • Good files for rough shaping of aluminum or steel brackets
  • Dremel - used for everything! From cutting, finishing, sanding, grinding
  • Rivnut gun - an expensive luxury best shared with a friend!
On top of this I had the usual set of ring and open ended spanners, sockets and screw drivers. I added quite a few larger spanners and sockets for jobs like fixing the upright ball joints, or tightening hub nuts. Most of these can be added as needed, but I can't emphasise enough the importance of using the right tool for the job. A vice and bench grinder is also handy.


One of the things I thought I would use a lot more was my compressor. I already had a rattle gun and I also got an air powered socket wrench. I guess the capacity and duty cycle was a little low on my compressor as it was more of a pain to use than being of any great benefit. I ended up using a cordless driver with socket attachments a lot more than anything else.



No comments:

Post a Comment