Thursday, January 20, 2011

Seat Runner

Not a lot of progress build wise as I have been waiting for parts to arrive. I decided to try to do a couple of little bits and pieces that would not get in the way of other build steps. Firstly I thought I would rivet on the press studs for the tonneau cover. Only problem was my rivet gun head did not fit into the press stud so it was impossible to get the rivets to fit snugly. Drilled those attempts out and will leave it for later (either getting a different rivet gun or a mobile motor trimmer to come past.

Looking through my other bits and pieces, I decided that the driver's seat runner would be easy to fit with just 4 bolts. So after putting the first 3 in ok, the 4 one seemed to be crossed in the thread. After a few retries it felt like it was moving, so I popped on the socket to only have it go PING...the bolt head sheared off. No drama, will drill out the bolt, tidy up the hole and re tap it. All good accept I hit the same level of resistance and PING, the tap is now sheared off in the same hole %^$&!!!. From here I grabbed the Dremel and a carbide grinding wheel and started to grind out the tap. Two days later and I still have only ground half the tap out and the hole in the metal is getting bigger by the minute. Mind you I am doing all this in the floor of the car, leaning in at odd angles. Then it hits me, I can pull the entire seat frame out and fix it on the bench!!!. So 5 minutes later the seat frame is on the bench, and a further 5 minutes saw the tap ground out, the lower bolt removed and replaced, the hole in the frame fixed up and the seat runner back in the car. Amazing when you think things through how quickly they are fixed! 4 bolts, 3 days :)




No comments:

Post a Comment