Sunday, January 23, 2011

Body Loom

Still at a loose end waiting for a few more parts to turn up. Decided to see what boxes I could empty to get a few more parts on the car and tidy up the garage. The electrical body loom was an easy choice as it gets a major step out of the way. I started by putting some cable ties between the dash panel and the support frame to hold the dash part of the loom. This required a gentle application of flat screwdriver to open a gap between the dash panel and the frame which is glued together with silastic. The cardboard clamped across the dash is to protect the carbon fibre which already has at least one gouge in it (perfect place for the ADR warning sticker!).


Next I popped the lid of the fuse box cover, and removed the rear support bracket in the fuse box. I was lucky enough to acquire a loom complete with relays and fuses already mounted on a bracket. So it was a (relatively) simple task to pull the sealing grommets out that provide access into the cockpit, transmission tunnel and engine bay. I fed the engine part of the loom forward first...easy!. Next I fed the largest part of the loom into the cockpit and up behind the dash. I secured the backbone of this loom to the frame with cable ties, aligning each connector behind its respective switch, gauge or light....even easier! 

Last part was the rear loom. This is separate and connects into 2 connectors on the main loom. I started feeding the rear loom through the opening from the fuse box into the transmission tunnel. This went well until the last connector (the Hall Effect sensor for the speedo) which was to large to fit through the hole with the cables in it. So I had to pull it all back and open the hole more with the Dremel (can't build a Clubman without one!). Once it was larger the rear loom went in easy and is now sitting in the passenger side footwell. I will not finish running it to the rear until I get the engine, transmission, diff and prop shaft in to make sure it all fits snug. I will also get some heat shrink and wrap all the loose leads before I tighten everything up with cable ties. Last task here is to fabricate a second bracket to mount the fuses/relays on so I can mount it in the fuse box (leaving room for the ECUs).

No comments:

Post a Comment